First of all, welcome! Since we now have quite a few podcast episodes, hopefully this will help you find your way around.
If you want to jump straight in and listen to the podcast, visit the podcast page, where you’ll find the player embedded with all the episodes, starting with the latest one.
Alternatively, if you hover over or expand ‘PODCAST’ in the menu bar, you’ll also find:
- An episode gallery, where you can see all the amazing humans in a neat grid (each picture links to the episode page);
- A searchable episode list in table format, which is useful if you’d like to listen to episodes about a specific gender identity – or if you like tables 🙂 (each episode number and name link to the episode page);
- A categories gallery, which you can search by label/subject (again, with links to the episode page)
- A page with all the transcripts in one place! (coming soon)
On the podcast categories page and on each episode page, you’ll find a sidebar which contains a list of all the gender categories, and additional keywords and tags, such as:
- Sexual and other attractions: Lesbian, Bisexual, Asexual/Aromantic, Pansexual, Panromantic, Demisexual, Greysexual/Graysexual, Fraysexual
- Neurodivergence, Autistic
- BDSM, Kink and Fetish
- Mental health: Depression, Bipolar, Addiction, Anxiety, Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD)
- Surgeries and medical treatments: Gender Confirmation Surgery (GCS), Gender Reassignment Surgery (GRS), Top surgery, Mastectomy/Bilateral mastectomy, Bottom surgery, Peritoneal pull-through vaginoplasty, Labioplasty, Phalloplasty, Metoidioplasty, Gonadectomy surgery
- And many others, including Drag, Conversion therapy, Extreme body modification, HIV+, etc.
As for navigating around the site, the episodes are titled by number, followed by name, and then gender identity labels. You can find most of the episode pages by adding the first name of the person behind the website url (except for a couple with duplicate first names), for example www.fiftyshadesofgender.com/kit, which will take you to the first episode.
If you’re interested in family dynamics, there is a post called Is your partner, child, parent or friend transitioning, or questioning their gender? with the players embedded for each episode with parents of trans kids, teens, or adults (we don’t have any partners, significant others, kids or friends of gender-diverse folks just yet).
Most episodes are conversations between Esther and and another colourful human. There are also a handful of different types of conversations:
25. Reflections (part 1): discoveries so far
50. Reflections (part 2): discoveries so far
65. Listener Questions (1) – terminology explained
19. How to be a better gender-diverse ally
49. Being LGBTQIA+ in Higher Education (HE)
As well as talking about gender, we also talk about other subjects; most often sexuality, neurodivergence or disability.
You can help us keep this podcast going, keep it advert free, and create more resources for learning (like courses) – and your support will pay for subscriptions, transcripts, and many other things we need to do to keep on bringing you regular episodes. Thank you! 💜