This is the second Reflections conversation with Esther – you can find the first one (episode 25) here.
Reflections (part 2)
DISCOVERIES SO FAR
1 hr 16 min. Recorded on 18 June 2021.
In this second Reflections episode, Katy interviews Esther as she reflects on further conversations she’s had with gender-diverse folks, what she’s learned about gender, as well as her own journey and how she and the podcast have evolved almost a year since the podcast started. It reached 10,000 downloads last week and Esther has no intention of stopping at 50 episodes!
We also talk about expectations, finding the essence of each conversation, the subtleties of language, intuition and setting intentions, awareness and facets of identity, assigned titles, smart business decisions, the discomfort of learning, and discovering ourselves as we go.
“I’ve had conversations with many trans people and many non-binary people and none of them experience being trans or being non-binary in the same way. It means something different to everyone…So, just because I know the definition of being non-binary, which is like falling outside of the binary, it’s kind of saying what it’s not, but what it is, is something very unique to each person.”
TRANSCRIPT [expand to read] – COMING SOON
What we discussed & useful links
- The book Gender Outlaw by Kate Bornstein
- Judith Butler
- A Respectful Conversation About Gender at Norwich Arts Centre (03/02/2019)
- The book Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- Human Library Organization
- You Might Wanna Learn More About Trans People Facebook group
- Sarah Corke – episode 5
- Bonnie Bakeneko – episode 10
- Charlie Caine – episode 11
- Allyship – episode 19
- Alf Ravn – episode 24
- Rachel Lawson– episode 28
- CN Lester – episode 31
- Jareth Nebula – episode 35
- Devi Irony – episode 38
- Harris Eddie Hill – episode 41
- Evey Winters – episode 42
- Jay Genesis – episode 45
- Helen Belcher – episode 47
- Dean Rasmussen – episode 52
- Podcast episode list