A conversation with Cara Wilde
PARENT OF A TRANSGENDER TEEN
46 min. Recorded on 1 June 2021.
Cara has two children, one of whom is transgender. Find out more about Cara’s journey in this episode.
We also talk about questioning your gender and looking beyond body parts as a cis person, assumptions and misinformation about hormone/puberty blockers, supporting and empowering your child and watching them thrive, what it would be like if we were all free to explore gender, and why we should all question what’s considered normal.
Terminology: cis = cisgender (meaning someone whose birth sex matches their gender identity), TERF = trans exclusionary radical feminism
Disclaimer: Please note that neither Cara nor myself are medically trained, so always do your own research. There are some resources about puberty blockers/hormone blockers below.
“I always see diversity as something to be celebrated; it’s how our soul wants to experience this lifetime…it’s just been this massive opportunity for growth in this really enriching way.”
TRANSCRIPT [expand to read] – COMING SOON
“I help people to fall wildly and blissfully in love with themselves and celebrate their authenticity. I believe that each persons authenticity is an important and significant piece of the Divine blueprint for creating a Heaven On Earth. I know. Big statement. I”m a channel, mystic and Empath. I’m also neurodiverse, home educate my two children, run a business and can be found hanging about in Stone Circles, trail running or talking with spirit.”
What we discussed & useful links
- Mermaids Charity – helping gender-diverse kids, young people and their families since 1995
- The Tavistock & Portman Gender Identity Clinic (GIC)
- GenderGP online gender clinic – worldwide transgender health and wellbeing services
- YAY! Cornwall (Young and Yourself) – the youth group for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Questioning young people
- FFLAG – a national voluntary organisation and charity dedicated to supporting families and their LGBT+ loved ones
- Silk Ring Theory
Articles about hormone/puberty blockers: